Teaching the high-five is very similar to the shake but you are simply turning your hand over. Again, be sure to start by teaching your dog the behavior before introducing the verbal command.
Follow these steps:
- Even though the high five is similar to the shake, we are going to start off by NOT using that verbal command. Simply reach out for his paw and hopefully, he will give it to you because he knows that behavior.
- Remember to treat right away.
- Next raise your hand a little higher than you normally would to start to introduce the new behavior.
- If he reaches out to give you his paw and misses, don’t treat as that will confuse him.
- Keep raising your hand up higher until it comes to a point where you can turn your hand over and get him to high five you.
- This is the point where, when he has done it repeatedly you can then introduce the verbal command.
If something more exciting happens that attracts your dog’s attention, be sure to pull out your more exciting treats. Keep in mind that progress is what matters and that you don’t have to accomplish mastering the entire trick in one session. Always end each teaching session on a positive note.
WATCH MY VIDEO BELOW TO GET YOUR DOG TO HIGH FIVE!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG BELOW AND GET
OUR DIY DOG TRAINING TIPS, VIDEOS, AND MORE DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!