When training your dog, one of the most important things you want to remember is that you never want to physically try to manipulate your dog. For instance, when it comes to training your dog to crawl, one of the things that will not help is pushing down on your dog’s back. There's no need to do that if we are training your pup correctly.
Here’s how to properly teach the behavior:
- When your dog is laying down, try to encourage him to creep forward with a treat.
- If his behind or his belly comes up then you need to reset, get him to lay down again and don’t treat.
- Always remember, even when he makes the tiniest bit of progress, treat quickly.
- Try to get him to creep forward again and even if he only goes one or two steps, treat immediately.
- Keep your treat down low and he will eventually continue to “crawl” forward.
- Eventually, once he knows what you want him to do you can introduce the verbal command.
- This is a trick that does require patience on your part. If you lose your patience both you and your dog will become frustrated.
Watch my video now to learn how to teach this command:
DON'T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL OR BLOG SO YOU CAN RECEIVE DIY DOG TRAINING TIPS TO YOUR INBOX!